Idex has been offering volunteer and travel experiences to international volunteers for over a decade in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Thailand. Over the years, we have been building on our diverse experience, having provided placements, travels and learning opportunities to many volunteers since the start of the programs.
Idex carries with it a trust and experience of more than a decade in volunteering activities, and is now offering an amazing turtle protection project in Sri Lanka to provide a real and valuable experience to our customers along with a chance to make a difference in such a beautiful island by helping out in turtle conservation.
- Sri Lanka is home of 5 out of 7 species of turtles in the world. Our project is located in Duwemodara, Kosgoda on the west coast about 75 Kms south of Colombo.
- Kosgoda, Bentota, and Induruwa areas are prime turtle nesting sites of Sri Lanka and beautiful areas with stunning beaches and several turtle hatcheries which attracts a lot of tourists.
- The Green turtle
- The Hawsbill turtle
- The Loggerhead turtle
- The Olive ridley turtle
- The Leatherback turtle
Activities performed by volunteers
- Caring turtles that live at the centre.
- Maintaining the project areas and beach.
- Feeding turtles.
- Washing turtles.
- Lifting turtles from tank to tank.
- Collect eggs from the nests on beach or buy from vendors to avoid their sale in the market.
- Night patrolling the beach to collect eggs if female turtles have laid eggs during the night time.
- Releasing baby turtles in sea.